Monday, February 9, 2009

"Success is a journey, not a destination." Ben Sweetland



Anytime Fitness of Yelm has been generous enough to sponsor a full gym membership this year, and Devani of Anytime Fitness has been kind enough to offer her personal training services to me free of cost in my preparation for Miss America and as I strive to stay healthy and fit. Anticipating the New Year, Anytime Fitness facilitated an open house inviting the community to kick-off 2009 with healthy resolutions and educate members about positive diet and active lifestyle choices. I had the opportunity to attend the event, discuss with potential members the benefits of a healthy lifestyle on your physical and mental well-being and participate in an autograph signing. Thank you once again and many more times to Anytime Fitness and to my wonderful personal trainer Devani for your support and guidance!


Pictured with Sydney Unbewust at Anytime Fitness - one of the sweetest girls I've met!

My hometown facilitated its own ‘Top Chef’ competition this year and I was asked to judge all of the wonderfully prepared dishes that were entered into the competition. Those who know me know I didn’t hesitate to accept that invitation! The food was incredible and the hospitality of city staff was even more delightful. Thank you to the City of Yelm for extending this invitation to me and allowing me to be a part of such a fun and creative event!

I have had the privilege of interviewing recently on the Dave Ross Show, with the Seattle PI, on KJRFM, with EXTRA, my favorite hometown newspaper the Nisqually Valley News and many others. It’s always a special honor to promote our program and my platform partners, Big Brothers Big Sisters and Children’s Miracle Network in the media!

I spent two fun-filled days in Renton filming a special commercial for Brotherton Cadillac with an incredible group of people. Thank you so much to Brian, Rachel, and Brad for a wonderful experience and for creating a commercial that truly represents the values of the Miss Washington Organization and our relationship with Brotherton Cadillac as partners in scholarship and service. The commercial has been airing on KOMO 4 and if you haven’t had a chance to see it, feel free to visit this link and check it out! http://www.hitmanproductions.com/brotherton/brocaddy.mov

On January 4th I was surrounded by friends and family showing their endless support as I set off for Miss America, and it was such a heart-warming and indescribable afternoon. I am so unbelievably fortunate to have a countless number of encouraging friends, family members, sponsors and supporters in my life and I owe so much of myself and my accomplishments thus far to all of YOU who have continuously given me the tools and support I need to achieve my dreams. I am blessed in so many ways and the fashion show send-off celebration was just one of many moments from this year that I will treasure for the rest of my life. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of those who attended, sent their love and support, and who worked tirelessly to put this event together – I so appreciated every bit of it!
Modeling at the fashion show
Even four day old Hunter came for the send-off!

Oh, the packing seemed to be endless. With the help of my mom and Peggy, it still took a ridiculous amount of time to plan and pack for the trip to Miss America. It seems like such a frivolous idea, but I am actually very grateful for the amount of time we invested in preplanning what I might need in Las Vegas and ensuring that I was as prepared as possible. There is so much going on in those weeks of preparation and competition that you literally do not have time to think about what to wear each day and locate all of the coordinating accessories, so having it all done in advance was a blessing. It may sound boring, but tell that to the three of us as we enjoyed ice cream cake and monster taco’s from Jack in the Box at the wee hours of the morning!

Peggy and I were thrilled to be driven to and from the airport by Limo, courtesy of Elite Limousine. Even as light packers, some of our luggage overflowed onto the seats next to us inside. What a ride! So many thoughts were going through my mind as we made this drive to the Seattle airport. I had to ask myself some serious questions. One more time, Am I ready for the job of Miss America? Absolutely, and would be honored to have it... but wow! Do I love my job as Miss Washington or WHAT!? Am I prepared? I don’t think I had ever been more prepared for anything in my life – physically, mentally, in every way. I was so ready for this experience and more than anything I was ready to be reunited with the 51 incredible young women I had grown so close to throughout our journey in Orlando and on the Queen Mary filming the reality show.

We arrived at the airport and to my surprise were greeted by a group of friends and family, there to send us off to Las Vegas in the best of spirits. We made our way up to a conference room where we could spend some time together before the flight, and I was completely surprised to find my dear friend and sponsor Brad Brotherton of Brotherton Cadillac waiting there for us! It meant so much to me to have Brad there as he and all of my friends at Brotherton have been such an incredible support system for me and for our organization these past few months. One of the traits Brad and I share is that we are big sports fans, and he surprised me with my new favorite wardrobe item, a Seahawks jersey with ‘Miss Washington’ on the back! You can bet I sported that baby at Miss America!
The flight to Miss America was a riot, of course. Peggy, Patti and I amused ourselves like we do best.. by laughing until our bellies ached. When the passenger in front of us turned around and said “A little tipsy are we?” we figured we’d better cool it – what can we say? We can’t help but laugh when we are together! Arriving a night early in Las Vegas gave us the evening to unpack and get settled in, which was a relief and the extra organization made the entire experience much more enjoyable. I shared a fabulous dinner with Peggy, Patti and my parents at PF Changs in the Planet Hollywood and after ordering half the items on the menu I can assure you that everything at PF Changs is to DIE for!

The next morning I was whisked away to wardrobe fittings and meetings, and had the opportunity to enjoy one last meal with my directors and parents before being officially given away to the Miss America Organization for the next ten days… and what a meal it was! I ordered a nice big stack of chocolate chip-chocolate syrup and banana pancakes and enjoyed every bite.
That first day was our arrival ceremony. It was one of very few opportunities we had to enjoy the beautiful Las Vegas weather while introducing ourselves on the steps outside the Planet Hollywood. The next few days (and nights) were filled with media interviews, rehearsals, press events, and much, much more. One thing that’s for sure is that everything was very fast paced and our schedule was jam-packed. Fortunately, everything we did was as a group of 52 and we so enjoyed our time together. Some of the highlights of our trip were; a press event with our fellow Children’s Miracle Network sponsor – IHOP, gondola rides at the Venetian, a mall centered Fashion Show, an evening of excitement at Pole Position Raceway, going to Phantom of the Opera, and a very special fundraiser dinner to benefit Children’s Miracle Network.

To summarize the experience is impossible, but what I must tell you is that I am so grateful to have shared this incredible adventure with friends, family and the other 51 young women participating. There are so many pieces of the puzzle that make the journey to Miss America complete and so often that seems to consist of the preparation, appearances, events in Las Vegas, people we met, etc. But the truth is that none of the journey would have been possible for any of the Miss America contestants if it weren’t for the people who walked every step of it with them. The people who share our passions and support us in our dreams are the ones who make the experience complete and I am overwhelmed at the love and encouragement that has followed and surrounded me throughout my personal journey. I had the most fun I’ve ever had performing in every phase of competition, and would not change a single thing that I did or a single emotion I felt. It was better than I had imagined it and I am so honored to have had the opportunity to represent Washington State on the Miss America stage. I did the very best I could – and what better place to do that than the Miss America pageant!
Just after playing piano on preliminary night




Gondola rides at the Venetian



The arrival ceremony on the Las Vegas strip

Meeting the Mayor of Las Vegas

I have so much more to share with you about Miss America festivities and the happenings since returning home to beautiful Washington.. But I’ll save those for next time. For now, thank you so much to everyone for sending your support before and during my trip to Miss America, and thank you even more for welcoming me home to the job and people that I love with open arms! I am so blessed!
Signing autographs at the Fashion Show Mall




Some of my closest Miss America sisters.. I love these girls!


The Whatcom County Crew!


A group of supporters from Yelm at a luncheon during Miss A week!


We are still one big happy family after all is said and done!

No comments: