Wednesday, December 17, 2008

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. - Proverbs 31:25

December has been a very busy month! Sitting here in front of the Christmas tree watching the snow fall outside I can't resist my craving for some warm hot chocolate and sugar cookies. Don't worry... I'll skip the cookies.. for now!

The Christmas in the Park Festival was a fun-filled day of community, friends, and fun for everyone who participated. It began with a morning parade, and all bundled up in preparation for the chilly weather, we gathered in the heart of town along with hundreds of other participants. We were so fortunate to be greeted not only by thousands of bystanders waiting anxiously to compete with each other for the most candy, but also by a beautiful wintery baby blue sky! After the parade we made our way to the city park and participated in several activities to celebrate the holiday season.





The Yelm School District prepared free food and drinks for everyone at the festival and I had a wonderful time working with volunteers from throughout the education system while serving hundreds of families. I had a wonderful day and am very thankful for the opportunity to participate in community-oriented events such as this that help our organization and the charities we represent gain positive visibility and promotion!


Timberland Library and Friends sponsored an incredible event this December. They donated hundreds of library books to be wrapped up by volunteers and given as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community. What a simple way to allow the community to lend a helping hand and brighten the holidays for others!


Giorda Elie has been kind enough to sponsor all of the alterations for my Miss America wardrobe and does an impeccable job, adding the finishing touches that truly make each outfit complete. Every once in a while she puts on a designer show, and I was greatly excited to be invited to model some stunning outfits at her boutique during her holiday showcase. It was a wonderful opportunity to wear some of the most beautiful clothes I have ever seen, meet some incredibly fashionable and fabulous people and share a great evening with new friends and some of our most valued supporters. Please visit Giorda's boutique at http://www.giordae.com/ to find one-of-a-kind designer clothing of unprecedented quality and valuable fashion advice.






Nothing makes an outfit complete more than adding some precious metals and stones. Peggy and I had a fabulous time taking a trip to Gresham, Oregon, to visit our cherished jewelry sponsor, Cynthia Loeffler. Cynthia has graciously offered to create one-of-a-kind hand crafted jewelry to wear with my Miss America competition wardrobe. She has the most incredible eye for detail and I am SO looking forward to seeng the spectacular pieces she's creating. Along with exploring her beautiful floral, jewelry, and gift store, we had the pleasure of sharing a delightful lunch (along with the largest and most delicious chocolate cake I have ever encountered) at a lovely Italian restaurant and visited some neighboring boutiques where I found the umbrella of my dreams. Yes, you guessed it – it's hot pink leopard print! Cynthia, thank you for so much for sharing your time and talents with the Miss Washington Organization… and thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping me work on my Miss America ab's by laughing endlessly with us.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound has become actively involved with the Miss Washington Scholarship Organization, and I had the privilege of attending one of the most successful sponsor cultivation events EVER at a beautiful location in downtown Seattle. With more and more families in the Puget Sound region feeling the economic downturn, more children than ever are in need of a Big Brother or Big Sister to be a caring friend and mentor. As you consider where to spend your charitable dollars at the end of this turbulent year, remember that Big Brothers Big Sisters of Puget Sound needs your support to help us keep kids in school. Please visit http://www.bbbs.org/ to see what you can do to help. Thank you so much to Peter Retzlaff and all of my friends at BBBS of Puget Sound for everything that you are doing for our worthwhile organization!

Some of my favorite times are those I get to spend with children in schools as a speaker or volunteer in one capacity or another. I recently had the opportunity to spend a morning at Northwest Christian High School in Lacey, Washington and what an extraordinary experience it was! I spent an hour addressing the entire student body during a morning assembly, and I must say that this audience was one of the warmest, most welcoming group of students I have ever encountered. I felt so fortunate to be able to share my experiences with them and to participate in a very festive question and answer session! They even invited me to play piano for them after I shared that piano was my talent. After the assembly, all of the young men in the audience left to continue with classes and all of the ladies got to stay and have a very relaxed, private 'small group' session tailored just for girls. I was so thankful for this very special opportunity to connect with young women on a personal level and I feel that our time was very well spent! All in all, it was a very unique school event and I was really able to connect with all of them and want to extend a huge thank you to the entire student body, staff, and the Koepp family for such a memorable experience.




As most of you know, it's now less than a month before we leave for the final preparation before Miss America. In the meantime, we were asked to film some requested footage for TLC. You would think that after a month in Los Angeles filming the reality show and a number of media opportunities, I would be more comfortable being in front of a camera. But the truth is that I have yet to accept that I am going to be on television. Am I the only one who refuses to leave voicemails because of the fear of somehow having it played back and having to listen to my own voice? Can you imagine not only hearing your voice but seeing it come out of your own mouth on television? Ick. Maybe it's just me, but it's certainly going to take some getting used to. Anyway, if you haven't already seen it, TLC is beginning to air commercials promoting Miss America's Countdown to the Crown, which will air its first episode on January 2nd.


I would like to end with a special thanks to Brad Brotherton of Brotherton Cadillac. As you know, Brotherton Cadillac was kind enough to provide me with a car for my year of service, and as if that wasn't enough, they have gone above and beyond to offer their support for our organization. Brad especially has become a dear friend of the Miss Washington Scholarship Organization and myself. He is not only a great asset to the pageant family, but a constant giver to the community in multiple capacities. He is working actively with us to benefit Children's Miracle Network, in addition to playing a huge role in many other charitable causes, both for the Miss Washington Organization and a plethora of other non-profit organizations. His spirit is selfless and he truly embodies all of the attributes of an incredible positive role model, and someone who is constantly willing to give of himself to better the lives of others. We are so fortunate to have Brotherton Cadillac as a part of our organization and I feel particularly blessed to be a part of the Brotherton family.


In addition to these and many other exciting events (including a visit to the Seahawks Training Facilities, one of our most recent supporters thanks to Brad Brotherton), I am working hard every day to prepare for Miss America. It's unbelievable that there is only a month before we leave. The Fashion Show/Send off is scheduled for January 4th in Puyallup Washington. I will have the opportunity to showcase my Miss America competition wardrobe and perform my Miss America talent for the very first time, and the Miss Washington Class of 2008 will be there to showcase their personal styles as well! The event is from 12-2:30, and brunch will be served. Tickets are $35 per person – please RSVP to Fianna Dickson at misswa2003@hotmail.com before December 28th. Unfortunately, tickets will not be available at the door so be sure to contact Fianna and reserve your seat!

I hope you are all staying warm and safe while enjoying this beautiful winter weather!

No comments: